This month's notes: March 2014: Spring is just around the corner. Strawberries are here in Florida, Texas and California, next in late March and April for much of the South, then in May for most of the country and June in cooler northern areas. See how easy it is to make strawberry jam or strawberry-rhubarb jam! See this page for hundreds of easy canning and freezing instructions/recipes, canning equipment guide! Also make your own ice cream - see How to make ice cream and ice cream making equipment and manuals. Then see each state's crop availability calendar for more specific dates of upcoming crops. Organic farms are identified in green! See our guide to local fruit and vegetable festivals!. Please tell the farms you found them here - and ask them to update their information!!
When in Florida to find pick your own Citrus farms and orchards and canning & freezing instructions!
This page provides a detailed list of Florida's pick- your- own (PYO, U-pick, pick-it-yourself) farms for everything from apples, berries, fruit, pumpkins, vegetables to cut-you-own Christmas trees! I'm always looking for suggestions of more farms and events to add and feedback about any you have visited, so if you encounter any, just click on the preceding link, as appropriate! And if you have a farm and want to add it or correct the information, please click on the link to "add my farm".
Remember to ALWAYS either email, call or click the link to the farm's own website (if they have one) on the morning before you go, to confirm hours, conditions and availability of the specific crops you want!
We also have our own free and simple, step-by-step, illustrated instructions on canning, freezing and drying many fruits and vegetables, such as how to make jam, apple butter, applesauce, spaghetti sauce, salsa, pickles, ketchup or freezing corn . If you are looking for Canners, mixes, jars, pectin and other canning supplies at the best prices anywhere!
Click on the links below for your area, or scroll down the page for a clickable map!
Florida Citrus Harvest Calendar
For more information about citrus, look here:
- Australian Citrus Growers-Varieties
- Catálogo Cítricos, AMC, Spain
- Citrus Availability, Expofrut, Argentina
- Citrus of the world, A citrus directory, INRA-CIRAD.
- Citrus variety factsheets: Australian Citrus Growers
- Florida Citrus Harvesting Season, Citrus Summary 1999/2000, Florida Agricultural Statistical Service
- Florida Citrus Varieties, Florida Department of Citrus.
- Florida Citrus Varieties, University of Florida, Extension IFAS.
- Gayndah Packers Co-Op, Harvest Calendar
- Seasonal Chart, Florida Department of Citrus
- Sunkist Varietal Chart
- UC Riverside Citrus Variety Collection, California
Florida Citrus Festival
- Late January every year. (Jan 26 in 2006)
Winter Haven, FL (Central Florida). This long time festival was started back in 1924. They have with beauty pageants, karaoke, grapefruit packing competition and parade.
Florida's fruit and vegetable
Click on your area in this list or click on the map further down this page:
- Main Florida PYO farm page
- Crop availability / harvest schedule - click here
- To find pumpkin patches, corn mazes and other Halloween activities, click here.
- To find choose and cut-your-own Christmas tree farms, click here.
|Current Weather - Click on a map for forecast, or enter a zip code for a different location.|
Festivals and Events
Don't forget the Ball Blue Book!
Home Canning Kits
* All the tools you need for hot waterbath canning - in one comprehensive set!
* Complete with 21 1/2 qt. enameled waterbath canner
* Also includes canning rack, funnel, jar lifter, jar wrencher, bubble freer, tongs and lid lifter.
* A Kitchen Krafts exclusive collection.
This is the same type of standard canner that my grandmother used to make everything from applesauce to jams and jellies to tomato and spaghetti sauce. This complete kit includes everything you need and lasts for years: the canner, jar rack, jar grabber tongs, lid lifting wand, a plastic funnel, labels, bubble freer. It's much cheaper than buying the items separately. You'll never need anything else except jars & lids (and the jars are reusable)! There is also s simple kit with just the canner and rack, and a pressure canner, if your want to do vegetables (other than tomatoes). To see
more canners, of different styles, makes and prices, click here!
Average Customer Review:
Lids, Rings, Jars, mixes, pectin, etc.
Need lids, rings and replacement jars? Or pectin to make jam, spaghetti sauce or salsa mix or pickle mixes? Get them all here, and usually at lower prices than your local store!
[General picking tips and a guide to each fruit and vegetable] [How much do I need to pick? (Yields - how much raw makes how much cooked or frozen)] [Selecting the right varieties to pick] [All about apple varieties - which to pick and why!] [Picking tips for Vegetables] [ Strawberry picking tips] [ Blueberries picking tips]
Illustrated Canning, Freezing, Jam Instructions and Recipes
[ All About Home Canning, Freezing and Making Jams, Pickles, Sauces, etc. ] [FAQs - Answers to common questions and problems] [Recommended books about home canning, jam making, drying and preserving!] [Free canning publications to download and print]