This month's notes: May 2013: The cool weather has delayed blooms and slowed growth by a couple of weeks, but don't miss strawberries: they started in most Southern areas in late April, and in late May up north. Click here for strawberry facts and picking tips, and this page for easy strawberry jam making directions. Blueberries will come in June in most areas. Of course, Florida, southern Texas, and other very warm areas are already picking both crops! See this page for hundreds of easy canning and freezing instructions/recipes, canning equipment guide! Also make your own ice cream - see How to make ice cream and ice cream making equipment and manuals. Then see each state's crop availability calendar for more specific dates of upcoming crops. Organic farms are identified in green! See our guide to local fruit and vegetable festivals!. Please tell the farms you found them here - and ask them to update their information!!
Where in northeastern Iowa, Dubuque, etc. to find pick your own farms and orchards for fruit, vegetables, pumpkins and canning & freezing instructions!
- PYO farms in greater metropolitan Des Moines area
- PYO farms in northwestern Iowa, Sioux Falls area
- PYO farms in southwestern Iowa, Omaha area
- PYO farms in northeastern Iowa, Dubuque, etc.
- PYO farms in central eastern Iowa - Cedar Rapids, Davenport, Iowa City, etc.
- PYO farms in southeastern Iowa
- Crop availability / harvest calendar
- To find pumpkin patches, corn mazes and other Halloween activities, click here.
- To find choose and cut-your-own Christmas tree farms, click here.
Click on the map for the area you are interested in!
Iowa County Map
Current weather - click for forecast, or enter a zip code for a different location:
[General picking tips and a guide to each fruit and vegetable] [How much do I need to pick? (Yields - how much raw makes how much cooked or frozen)] [Selecting the right varieties to pick] [All about apple varieties - which to pick and why!] [Picking tips for Vegetables] [ Strawberry picking tips] [ Blueberries picking tips]
Illustrated Canning, Freezing, Jam Instructions and Recipes
[ All About Home Canning, Freezing and Making Jams, Pickles, Sauces, etc. ] [FAQs - Answers to common questions and problems] [Recommended books about home canning, jam making, drying and preserving!] [Free canning publications to download and print]