Where in Virginia to find pick your own farms and orchards for fruit, vegetables, pumpkins and canning & freezing instructions!
This month's notes: March 2014: The weather is great, apples are ripe (see our apple varieties guide), hayrides, Fall fun and corn mazes are open now! See this page for hundreds of easy canning and freezing instructions/recipes, canning equipment guide! Also make your own ice cream - see How to make ice cream and ice cream making equipment and manuals. Then see each state's crop availability calendar for more specific dates of upcoming crops. Organic farms are identified in green! See our guide to local fruit and vegetable festivals!. Please tell the farms you found them here - and ask them to update their information!!
- Farm markets, roadside stands, local meat, milk, eggs, local honey, horse riding, farm B&B's etc.
- To find pumpkin patches, corn mazes and other Halloween activities, click here.
- To find choose and cut-your-own Christmas tree farms, click here.
Pick your own farms in Virginia
Click on the list below, or on the map below for the area you are interested in.
- Click here for northern Virginia
- Click here for Central Virginia (Charlottesville, Staunton, Albemarle area)
- Click here for southeastern Virginia, including Richmond, Virginia Beach, Portsmouth, etc.
- Click here for the Fredericksburg, Northern Neck and Middle Peninsula areas
Click here for the
Eastern Shore of Virginia
- Click here for Part of the Shenandoah Valley (Rockbridge, Rockingham, Augusta, Highland and Bath counties)
- Click here for Roanoke area of western Virginia
- Click here for the southwestern tip of Virginia
Current weather - click for forecast, or enter a zip code for a different location:
These pages have listings of Virginia pick your own farms and orchards. These include berries, vegetables, herbs, peaches, grapes, honey, apples, Christmas trees and pumpkins. The farms are listed alphabetically by County or major city. The harvest dates chart (click here!) indicates approximate times when the fruit or vegetable ready for picking in Virginia.
Many locations have special events, festivals, petting zoos, tours and lectures, and other special attractions. Be sure to call before you go - to ensure the farm is open and the fruit or vegetable is available - many farms get "picked out" early! the best time to go is anytime late in the week or early on a Saturday morning.
I'm always looking for more to add and feedback about any you have visited, so if you encounter any, please email me at the address at the bottom of the page! And if you have a farm and want to add it or correct the information, please let me know!
We also have a page with links to our own simple instructions on canning, freezing and drying many fruits and vegetables, such as how to make jam, apple butter, applesauce, spaghetti sauce, salsa, pickles, ketchup or freezing corn.
Don't forget the Ball Blue Book!
Home Canning Kits
* All the tools you need for hot waterbath canning - in one comprehensive set!
* Complete with 21 1/2 qt. enameled waterbath canner
* Also includes canning rack, funnel, jar lifter, jar wrencher, bubble freer, tongs and lid lifter.
* A Kitchen Krafts exclusive collection.
This is the same type of standard canner that my grandmother used to make everything from applesauce to jams and jellies to tomato and spaghetti sauce. This complete kit includes everything you need and lasts for years: the canner, jar rack, jar grabber tongs, lid lifting wand, a plastic funnel, labels, bubble freer. It's much cheaper than buying the items separately. You'll never need anything else except jars & lids (and the jars are reusable)! There is also s simple kit with just the canner and rack, and a pressure canner, if your want to do vegetables (other than tomatoes). To see
more canners, of different styles, makes and prices, click here!
Average Customer Review:
Lids, Rings, Jars, mixes, pectin, etc.
Need lids, rings and replacement jars? Or pectin to make jam, spaghetti sauce or salsa mix or pickle mixes? Get them all here, and usually at lower prices than your local store!
[General picking tips and a guide to each fruit and vegetable] [How much do I need to pick? (Yields - how much raw makes how much cooked or frozen)] [Selecting the right varieties to pick] [All about apple varieties - which to pick and why!] [Picking tips for Vegetables] [ Strawberry picking tips] [ Blueberries picking tips]
Illustrated Canning, Freezing, Jam Instructions and Recipes
[ All About Home Canning, Freezing and Making Jams, Pickles, Sauces, etc. ] [FAQs - Answers to common questions and problems] [Recommended books about home canning, jam making, drying and preserving!] [Free canning publications to download and print]