This month's notes: December 2013: The weather is great, apples are ripe (see our apple varieties guide), hayrides, Fall fun and corn mazes are open now! See this page for hundreds of easy canning and freezing instructions/recipes, canning equipment guide! Also make your own ice cream - see How to make ice cream and ice cream making equipment and manuals. Then see each state's crop availability calendar for more specific dates of upcoming crops. Organic farms are identified in green! See our guide to local fruit and vegetable festivals!. Please tell the farms you found them here - and ask them to update their information!!
FAQs: Answers to Common Questions About Tomatoes and Home Canning, Freezing and Drying Tomatoes
Answers to Common Questions About Home Canning Tomatoes and Tomato Products!
FAQs for making tomato sauces and products
Salsas are usually mixtures of acid and low-acid ingredients; they are an example of an acidified food. The specific recipe, and sometimes preparation method, will determine if a salsa can be processed in a boiling water canner or a pressure canner. A process must be scientifically determined for each recipe. To can salsa at home, use our recipes for Hot Chile Salsa or Mexican Tomato Sauce. Your County Extension agent may have additional tested recipes for salsas.
See these pages for other FAQs
- General Canning Process
- Why do I need a canner?
- Pressure Canning
- Can I use a water-bath canner instead of a pressure canner for low acid foods like green beans?
- Jars, Lids and Containers and popping noises!
- Spoilage, leaks and sealing,
- Additives and Ingredients
- Using honey in place of sugar
- Squash and pumpkins
- Jams and Jellies
- Miscellaneous Questions
- Free Resources About Storing
- Storing Home Canned Foods
- Packaging and Storing Dry Foods
- Food Storage for Safety and Quality (Colorado State University) pdf
- Cupboard Approximate Storage Times (Kansas State University) pdf
- Refrigerator/Freezer Approximate Storage Times (Kansas State University) pdf
- Proper Care and Handling of Fruits and Vegetables From Purchase to Preparation (Penn State University) pdf
- Storing Vegetables at Home (University of Wisconsin) pdf
- Safe Home Food Storage (Texas A&M University) pdf
Canning & Preserving for Dummies
The Ball Blue Book of Preserving
This is THE book on canning! My grandmother used this book when I was a child. It tells you in simple instructions how to can almost anything; complete with recipes for jam, jellies, pickles, sauces, canning vegetables, meats, etc. If it can be canned, this book likely tells you how! Click on the link below for more information and / or to buy (no obligation to buy)
Don't forget the Ball Blue Book!
Home Canning Kits
* All the tools you need for hot waterbath canning - in one comprehensive set!
* Complete with 21 1/2 qt. enameled waterbath canner
* Also includes canning rack, funnel, jar lifter, jar wrencher, bubble freer, tongs and lid lifter.
* A Kitchen Krafts exclusive collection.
This is the same type of standard canner that my grandmother used to make everything from applesauce to jams and jellies to tomato and spaghetti sauce. This complete kit includes everything you need and lasts for years: the canner, jar rack, jar grabber tongs, lid lifting wand, a plastic funnel, labels, bubble freer. It's much cheaper than buying the items separately. You'll never need anything else except jars & lids (and the jars are reusable)! There is also s simple kit with just the canner and rack, and a pressure canner, if your want to do vegetables (other than tomatoes). To see
more canners, of different styles, makes and prices, click here!
Average Customer Review:
Lids, Rings, Jars, mixes, pectin, etc.
Need lids, rings and replacement jars? Or pectin to make jam, spaghetti sauce or salsa mix or pickle mixes? Get them all here, and usually at lower prices than your local store!
[General picking tips and a guide to each fruit and vegetable] [How much do I need to pick? (Yields - how much raw makes how much cooked or frozen)] [Selecting the right varieties to pick] [All about apple varieties - which to pick and why!] [Picking tips for Vegetables] [ Strawberry picking tips] [ Blueberries picking tips]
Illustrated Canning, Freezing, Jam Instructions and Recipes
[ All About Home Canning, Freezing and Making Jams, Pickles, Sauces, etc. ] [FAQs - Answers to common questions and problems] [Recommended books about home canning, jam making, drying and preserving!] [Free canning publications to download and print]