Find a local pick your own farm here!

Looking for Arizona Cottage Food Laws and Regulations: How to sell your homemade foods in Arizona in 2018?  Scroll down this page and  follow the links. And if you bring home some fruit or vegetables and want to can, freeze, make jam, salsa or pickles, see this page for simple, reliable, illustrated canning, freezing or preserving directions. There are plenty of other related resources, click on the resources dropdown above.

If you have questions or feedback, please let me know!  

Arizona Cottage Food Laws and Regulations: How to sell your homemade foods in Arizona

Arizona Cottage Food Laws, Regulations and Facts

Date of the enactment of the Arizona cottage food law:  July 2011.

It limits producers to just baked and confectionss, but there is no sales limit, and getting started is easy.

Which foods are subject to the Arizona Cottage Food law?

The law limits cottage foods to  baked and confectionary goods. The state has an approved foods page here.

Examples include:

  • Breads
  • Bagels
  • Biscuits 
  • Brittles
  • Brownies
  • Cakes
  • Candies
  • Caramel corn
  • Chocolate Fudge
  • Chocolate-covered fruit
  • Chocolate-covered items
  • Cookies
  • Crackers
  • Doughnuts
  • Granola
  • Kettle corn
  • Mixes Spices & Seasonings
  • Muffins
  • Pastries
  • Pies
  • Popcorn
  • Pretzels
  • Rolls
  • Scones
  • Tortillas
  • Truffles
  • Waffle cones

Prohibited foods

Everything other than baked goods and confections . For example, jams and jellies, are prohibited.

Some examples of prohibited foods (by no means is this all-inclusive)

  • Buttercream frostings
  • Cakes with custard fillings
  • Cheesecakes
  • Fruit butters
  • Honey
  • Jams & jellies
  • Ketchup
  • Mustards
  • Nut butters
  • Oils and Vinegars
  • Perishable baked goods
  • Pickles
  • Potato chips
  • Preserves
  • Salsas
  • Sauces
  • Syrups
  • Tamales

If your food product does not meet the definition of a Cottage Food, you may still be able to make and sell it commercially, through a startup approach.  See this page for detailed information about selling foods that do not meet the Cottage Food definition.


  • "home food


  • Registration is required (it may be done online (easy and free),
  • Most producers will also need to get a food handler card.

To register for the program, please follow the steps in the Road Map found here. The Road Map is designed to allow you to figure out everything you need to make your registration as smooth and easy as possible, shortening the turnaround time.

Arizona residents are required by ARS 36-136(H)(4)(g) to register for the Home Baked and Confectionery Goods Program to be authorized to produce products for commercial purposes. Registrants can also choose to sign up for email updates from the program which will include food safety information, product recalls, and healthy baked good recipes from the Arizona Department of Health Services.

Training and Food Handler Cards

Under ARS 36-136 (H)(4)(g), you are required to obtain a food handler's card or certificate, as required by your county. This food handler training requirement needs to be fulfilled before preparing any products under the Home Baked and Confectionery Goods Program.

If your county does not require food handler training, you are still strongly encouraged to take a food handler training course. See this page for a list of online training certificate programs accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI).

Labeling requirements

Cottage Food Production Operations must label all of their food products properly, which includes specified information on the label of each unit of home baked good or Confectionery item when it is offered for sale:

  • The address and contact information of the individual registered with the Arizona Department of Health Services; and
  • A list of the ingredients in the baked or Confectionery goods; and
  • A statement that the baked or Confectionery goods are prepared in a private home; or
  • If applicable, a statement that the baked or Confectionery goods are prepared in a facility for individuals with developmental disabilities.

Depending on the size of your business, your label must comply with Federal label regulations and with the new nutritional labeling law. You can download a copy of the FDA Food Labeling Guide here it s an illustrated booklet that should answer all your questions.

Where may Cottage Food Production Operations sell the food products?

Cottage Food Products may not be sold across state lines.  Aside from that, you may can sell at any venue within the state, grocery stores, registered farm markets, church bake sales, schools, registered farmers markets, and sold and/or used in preparing food in a restaurant.

Other requirements

See this State of Arizona website for all the other details


Beyond the requirements, common sense, good practices and reducing liability suggests you should do the following.

Testing of pH

​It's best to use a pH meter, properly calibrated on the day used. I use this one, which is reliable and inexpensive.
Short-range paper pH test strips, commonly known as litmus paper, may be used instead, if the product normally has a pH of 4.0 or lower and the paper's range includes a pH of 4.6.

Record-keeping is suggested

Keep a written record of every batch of product made for sale, including:

  • ​Recipe, including procedures and ingredients
  • Amount canned and sold
  • Canning date
  • Sale dates and locations
  • Gross sales receipts
  • Results of any pH test


Although iInspections are not required, you should consider doing the following:

  • ​Use clean equipment that has been effectively sanitized prior to use
  • Clean work surfaces and then sanitize with bleach water before and after use
  • Keep ingredients separate from other unprocessed foods
  • Keep household pets out of the work area
  • Keep walls and floors clean
  • Have adequate lighting
  • Keep window and door screens in good repair to keep insects out
  • Wash hands frequently while working
  • Consider annual testing of water if using a private well

Best Practices

  • Allergans:  Most state home baking acts require an "ingredient statement" and/or an "allergen listing" on the label of the bakery item for sale; but if your state does not, you should anyway. The eight major food allergens are
    • milk,
    • eggs,
    • fish,
    • crustacean shellfish,
    • tree nuts,
    • peanuts,
    • wheat and
    • soybean.
  • Cross-allergenicity: There are also ingredients available, even flours, that can cause a cross-allergenicity. The American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology explains cross-allergenicity as an allergic reaction when proteins in one substance are similar to the proteins found in another substance. For example, consumption of lupine flour may trigger an allergic reaction to peanuts, and cricket flour may trigger an allergic reaction to shellfish. Again, providing such information might be a beneficial marketing tool and help keep potential consumers safe.
  • The 2 Hour/4 Hour Rule -  Anyone wishing to make and sell refrigerated bakery items should remember to follow the "2 Hour/4 Hour Rule." This is a system that can be implemented when potentially hazardous foods are out of temperature control (temperatures greater than 45 degrees Fahrenheit) during preparation, serving or display for sale. The rule guidelines are as follows:
    • If a potentially hazardous food has been out of temperature control for 2 hours or less, then it may continue to be used or be placed back in the refrigerator.
    • If a potentially hazardous food has been out of temperature control for more than 2 hours but less than 4 hours, it needs to be used quickly or discarded.
    • If a potentially hazardous food has been out of temperature control for more than 4 hours, it must be discarded.

More resources:

Questions? Contact Information:

Office of Environmental Health
150 N. 18th Avenue, Suite 140
Phoenix, AZ 85007
(602) 364-3118
(602) 364-3146 Fax

Email: [email protected]